Because Microsoft is retiring this outdated system, Microsoft Access, enterprises are increasingly searching for alternatives when converting Microsoft Access Forms to web applications. With the desktop version of MS Access, it is inevitable that your user population is very minute and cannot be expanded.
Switching to a web application version of MS Access will make it more versatile and secure and can also be used in businesses with a large working population. Here, we shall see all the ways to convert MS Access into a web application.
Why convert to a web app?
Switching to a web application can have several advantages, some of which are described below:
- The chance of a single point of failure is decreased by having many components to host and run your application, ensuring consistent availability.
- Organizations gain from features like user logging for an audit record of who made what modifications to the data once an Access application is scaled up to a website.
- Additionally, a web application offers a more extensive concurrency with an inherent capacity of more than 255 people.
- In addition to forms, web applications offer a more customized and focused user experience.
- Web applications may offer a more secure way to handle data and access depending on specific strategies.
Moreover, MS Access has disadvantages like low space, a limited number of users, scalability issues, fewer Microsoft software options, and security problems. Plus web app of MS Access is convenient for even mobile users to operate if they do not have a desktop with Windows software.
Ways to convert MS Access into a web app
Using Zoho Creator, convert MS Access to a Web application
Businesses can utilize Zoho creator, a robust, flexible, secure, and helpful user interface, to transform Microsoft Access forms into web applications (powered by Zoho’s online platform). Businesses may easily transition their Microsoft Access databases from the local desktop environment to the web thanks to a special plug-in offered by Zoho. Zoho creator comes with a plug-in that migrates your database from Access to Zoho creator and analytics. The plug-in also automatically converts your database into a web application to be used and accessed by various people.
Migrating your database to Hyperbase
Businesses can use this web application for a diverse array of functionalities. Hyperbase is a one-stop shop for enterprises, providing extra services like email integrations and automated workflows with collaboration tools like contact and project management. Software as a service (SaaS) applications may fully utilize cloud computing’s decision-support and business intelligence capabilities. It is an excellent tool to incorporate integration into your Access database and convert it into an automated workflow sheet for convenient usage.
Using Powerapps to convert MS Access
Microsoft’s response to the need for organizations to easily migrate their local Microsoft Access databases to the web is PowerApps. After an underwhelming user reaction, Microsoft keeps changing the product to satisfy consumer expectations. Since no coding is necessary to turn your database into an app, it is the ideal option for those who are not specialists in this field. Powerapps is compatible with various platforms like Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android.
Using SQL Server to migrate data
- Move the data to a database management system like SQL Server if it is currently stored in MS Access tables. Although MySQL and SQL Express are popular among enterprises, they lack capabilities like SQL agents and are not scalable. Therefore, a hosted SQL Server is advised for scalability and remote access.
- Recreate the queries as views after transferring the data from Access tables to SQL. The SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access can be used to accomplish this. Keep in mind that the tool can only transform SELECT queries. Other queries that require INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE will need to be manually rewritten.
- Access queries and forms are frequently related. These forms must be replicated as database-backed webpages with ASP.NET, PHP, Node.js, Java, or Python as the programming language.
- Reports also have to be recreated, just like forms. Simple queries can be easily reproduced using current tools and libraries, but more sophisticated queries may require a complete rewrite. Should reports need to be exported to Excel or PDF files, additional libraries might be needed.
- Before forms and reports may be utilized in the web application, Microsoft Access may contain code written in Visual Basic in macros and modules that may not be compatible with the web-based application.
Many online databases and companies help migrate data from MS Access to a web application at a minimal rate with complete security and data encryption. There is no doubt that MS Access is not enough to program an entire business alone due to its lack in many aspects. Converting your Access database into a web application makes it easier to adopt and work with regardless of your coding knowledge. This way, you can save time and work on various aspects of your business.